Thursday, June 14, 2012

Post 6/14/12

One of the things that I noticed about the book 'Bird by Bird' by Anne Lamott is that it was incredibly easy to relate to. In every chapter she describes issues that any writer can run into while we are writing fiction of any variety. One of the chapters that talked about the plot of stories she tells about her failure to put down on paper what she originally intended to. She says in the chapter that the failure was so bad she just scrapped the book and began a new book.

In another chapter she talks about how she got out of the loop of breaking the book up section by section and rearranging it. She however tells us that this process failed completely and had to once more think of something else entirely. Her editor told her to use the knowledge from her previous attempts and use it to further her goal. Doing so she says she did not just complete her works but actually made her most successful work yet.

I can relate to this because I remember all of the times I have written a paper and thought it was good only to practically remake it after the first review. I myself tend to assume I know where a story is going before I actually know where it is going. When I look back at stories I have made I am a bit shocked at how much it has changed because during the writing of it new and better ideas come to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment